Classic Racing Yachts

See our ad displayed in the Mahurangi Regatta 2014



*Experts in the old boatbuilding methods and techniques

*Construction and repair using all boatbuilding materials

*Engineering and Metal fabrication

*Engine, Transmission, Genset and Hydraulic servicing and installation

*All Interior Construction and Finishing




*8.5 meter beam and 80 ton travel lift


*More than 30 years designing, building, repairing and maintaining classic boats

*External refit and refit of rig on 36 ft. classic racing yacht

*Refurbishing of structural backbone of classic racing yacht

*External refit of 34 ft. classic racing yacht

Illustrative case history of a Classic Racing Yacht

We recently had a 36 ft. classic racing yacht come to Robertson Boats in need of some work to get it back up to speed. On arrival the boat was hauled out, carefully water blasted so the seams weren’t damaged and the rig was removed before being placed on the hardstand under one of our portable sheds.

It was then inspected, a list of jobs was compiled and a plan was put in place to systematically work through them. First up were the chain plates. On inspection it was discovered that the side and transom chain plates for the cap shrouds, lowers and backstay were old, worn out and suffering from corrosion so they were removed and new bronze ones were cast and machined. The fore stay chain plate was in good condition so it got removed and rebedded. The new bronze chain plates were then installed.

Next up was the mast step. The mast was keel stepped and the original mast step was deteriorating and needed replacing. It was removed and a new fore and aft hardwood step was constructed. It was installed and spanned across a couple of transverse floors to ensure it would provide plenty of support to the mast. The main bulkhead was tied into the new mast step where it came down onto it, this was done to help strengthen it up and support it.

Now attention was turned to the transverse floors along the centreline of the boat. They were deteriorating and getting a bit soft around the seats of the washers for the keel bolts and needed refurbishing. The keel bolts were unbolted and backed off. A portion was removed off the top of the transverse floors and a new piece of hardwood was machined up. The holes for the keel bolts were drilled and they were then laminated onto the top of the floors. This provided a good sound seat for the washers on the keel bolts and more compression could be applied to them when they were bolted up.

The engineers now got to work removing the engine so they could give it an overhaul. Any old deteriorating parts were replaced to make the engine reliable once again. The rust was treated and painted. The stern gland was also removed and refurbished before being reinstalled. While the engine was out of the boat the entire bilge area was repainted with red lead to ensure it was all sealed up. Once the paint had dried the engine was then installed again.

New batteries and battery boxes were also installed and the electrician installed new wiring for the charging and starting systems. The gas fitters also installed LPG sensors as a safety measure. While the work inside the boat was taking place work was being done on the decks and underbody of the boat. Some areas of the deck were deteriorating and required a small repair. Once completed they got touched up by the painters so they weren’t visible.

The underbody was stripped right back to bare timber and inspected. The majority of it was pretty sound but a few seams needed tightening up. The caulking was scraped out of them and they were recaulked, primed and puttied. The entire bottom was then primed, building up a good base to help protect the hull. Once dry the antifoul was then applied.

The shed was now removed and the rig was installed. It had been refurbished while the other work was being done on the boat. All the shrouds were replaced along with the halyards and running rigging. The boat was now launched and taken for a sea trial. The refurbished engine and rig worked well and the owner was happy with the work so the boat was taken back to Auckland.