Excursion Boats

  • Pee Jay IV crossing the Whakatane bar

    Pee Jay IV crossing the Whakatane bar

  • PeeJay V and PeeJay IV

    PeeJay V and PeeJay IV

  • Pee Jay V in Whakatane River

    Pee Jay V in Whakatane River

  • Dive Me

    Dive Me

  • PeeJay in Travel Lift

    PeeJay in Travel Lift


*Construction and repair using all boatbuilding materials

*Engineering and Metal fabrication

*Engine, Transmission, Genset and Hydraulic servicing and installation

*All Internal Construction and Finishing



*8.5 meter beam and 80 ton travel lift


*Servicing and repairing Pee Jay 4 & 5 from the White Island Tours fleet

*Re-Powering Pee Jay 5

*Full external refit and re-paint of Pee Jay 4

*Servicing and maintaining spectator boats for the Americas Cups in New Zealand

*Serviced and maintained Waiwera Cat

Illustrative case history for an Excursion Boat

The White Island Tours boats are based in Whakatane in the Bay Of Plenty and are brought to Robertson Boats for their annual haul out and general maintenance including antifouling and minor repairs. They take trips offshore out to the volcanic White Island daily which takes about eighty minutes one way and can be in rough conditions. Therefore they need to know that their boats are in the best condition possible to make this passage safely.

They schedule in a date and inform Robertson Boats of the work required so that we can prepare for their arrival. During their most recent visit we were re-powering their 75ft boat. Once on site the boat was hauled out, water blasted and wet sanded down in preparation for antifouling, then placed on the hardstand. The work began by removing the soft hatches so that the motors could be lifted up through the opening. Next up the engineers got onto disconnecting hoses, wires, cables, shafts, and anything else that had to be disconnected so the engines could be removed. While they were doing that the cabinetmakers were busy removing the galley, cabin doors and a section of the superstructure by the doors to make a big enough opening to fit the motors through.

Now with the engine mounts un-bolted and everything disconnected a hiab came down with a big enough reach to lift the motor up through the floor and out the back of the boat. The engines were being replaced by a set of big new Scanias so the boat builders had to get into the guts of the boat and reconfigure the engine bearers so the new engines lined up with the shafts and could be mounted on them. Once this was completed the hiab had the job of lifting the brand new Scanias into the boat so they could be bolted onto the reconfigured bearers. This was done with ease.

Now the engineers were back at work hooking up all the necessary components while the electrician was doing the wiring, installing the new electronic engine controls and hooking up the new engine room ventilation system that had been installed. While this was going on the cabinetmakers were reinstalling the galley and reinstating the section of the superstructure that was removed. Once all the work inside the boat was complete the painters had some work to do painting over the area that had been removed. It was undercoated and blocked back for the top coat. The top coat was applied and blended into the original paint job so there was no sign of a repair ever being made.

Next they got onto the antifoul. All the prep had been done so masking off the waterline and topsides was all that was required and the airless spraying of the antifoul was done. The general maintenance on the exterior of the boat could now be done while the engineers came back and hooked up the original shafts and props to the new engines. With all that complete the boat was launched. The new engines and systems were run up and thoroughly checked over before the boat was taken for a sea trial. All was good and the boat was taken back to Whakatane to resume service.