Power Cats

  • Wild Blue

    Wild Blue

  • Wild Blue In Travel Lift

    Wild Blue In Travel Lift

  • Wild Blue Launched

    Wild Blue Launched


* Purpose built multihull travel lift for wide beamed power cats up to 80 tones and 8.5 meters beam

* Construction and repair using all boatbuilding materials

* Engineering and Metal fabrication

* Engine, Transmission, Genset and Hydraulic servicing and installation

* All Interior Construction and Finishing

* Painting

* Electrical


* Service, maintain and repair the 360 Discovery fleet
* Designed and Built the Kawau Kat fleet now the 360 Discovery fleet.
* Designed and built the Cruise Cat for Lake Taupo.
* Serviced and maintained the Waiwera Cat
* Provide servicing and maintain a number of private wide beam power cats
And much more…

Illustrative case history for one Power Cat

A 14 meter power cat that had been having on going engine problems for quite some time.  They contacted Robertson Boats about the problem and one of the engineers went down to Gulf Harbour to investigate.  The boat was taken for a steam and once out of the marina they discovered the cause of all the problems.  The gear boxes fitted on the motors were vibrating violently and were transferring the vibrations through the entire engine.  The vibrating was so excessive that it had completely ruined the engines.

Now that the problem had been diagnosed the boat was limped up to Robertson Boat Yard so the boat could be re-powered.  On arrival the boat was hauled out, water blasted and placed on the hard stand.  It was obvious the engines and gearboxes were going to need replacing so the management team deliberated with the owner about the various options and the owners requirements.  They came to a decision and the new motors were ordered.

During deliberations, the engineers had got to work removing the wiring, raw water intakes, drive lines and anything else that had to be disconnected from the engines. They also had to remove shelving, battery boxes and other protrusions from the engine room walls and bulkheads as they had to slide the motors to the back end of the engine room so they could be lifted out the hatches in the cockpit sole.

With that being completed the cockpit was masked off with cardboard to protect the paint work from scratches and the extraction began.  The mounts were un-bolted and the engines were slid to the aft end of the engine room.  Once in position the hiab plucked them up out of the hatch in the cockpit.

The new engines and gearboxes had arrived and the hiab got to work lifting them carefully into the boat.  Now the engineers had to slide the new engines up to the forward end of the engine room and into position.  The mounts were then bolted to the engine beds which required no alterations and the motors were lined up with the shafts.  Now the engineers focused on hooking everything up.  The raw water intakes didn’t need repositioning so they were connected.

They installed all the new engine accessories and checked over the engines in preparation for them to be run up.  The electricians installed all the new wiring for the motors and connected the batteries once they were back in place.  The shelving and anything else that had been removed from the bulkheads and engine room walls was reconstituted.  The drive lines were also hooked up to the new motors.

While the re-powering was going on the owner also wanted the cabin windows replaced. The original windows were removed and the frames were cleaned up in preparation for the installation of the new ones.  Custom wood patterns were made up and sent away for the cutting and shaping of the new windows.  They were then installed once we received them from the manufacturer.  The rebates and the margins around the windows were masked off to protect the paint work and glass from the sealant.

Small rubber packers of about 2mm in thickness were stuck to the window rebate to guarantee there was plenty of sealant under the glass and the window sealant was then applied.  The window was then fitted into the frame and packers were fitted around the edges of the glass to ensure an even margin of sealant could be applied.  Once the sealant had cured the packers around the edges were removed so sealant could be gunned into the space and knifed off.  Once cured the masking was removed from around the windows.

The boat got a clean, polish and wax bringing all its surfaces to a high gloss and it was launched.  The new engines were fired up and the boat was taken for a sea trial.  The problem was solved and it was taken back to Gulf Harbour.